02 November 2009

Orkut revamp?

Here is the link to one of the many articles floating around on the supposed revamp of the Orkut site. Apparently, what prompted this was the high migration of users from Orkut to Facebook. Admittedly, Facebook is "snazzier" but personally I find it too much "in your face". I do not want barely known acquaintances updating me about the number of camels on their farm and neither am I interested in the doings, musing and pondering of people with whom I have a mere passing acquaintance. That way Orkut is better! Moreover, some sites say that the new interface is "invitation only". Nobody knows how to titillate the user better than Google.
However, it will be more interesting to see how Google moves against FB. I simply love the way Google moves in and introduces new services; let us see how it hits back at Facebook. Keeping in mind that Orkut is more popular in India & other developing countries, it should be interesting to see how long or sustained Google's fight back lasts. I would not be too surprised to see Google burying or making Orkut moribund after sometime.
Now Google Voice is something to watch out for.. It is for sure that Google would have added something extra to the voice services as well. Google's innovations are always interesting, to me at least!

No comments: