10 May 2015

Motion by curvature example in 2D

Here is a simple set of Octave/MATLAB files to help anyone understand or visualise motion by curvature for a 2D planar curve. I am yet to find out how to embed code in HTML; but in any case it is easier to pack and zip files in one place. The above plot shows a random curve green which has been evolved by its curvature for some iterations and the resultant curve is shown in red. 
One problem I faced was that if i increase the number of curve points to a very large number, say 150 or above, the evolution is not so stable any more and we get unexpected results. My guess is that this is a numerical stability issue rather than a bug in the code but do feel free to correct me by emailing or leaving a comment in this web-log entry or from where you downloaded the code or by emailing me.

No comments: